Requirements and Application Forms

  1. Transmitting Citizenship
  2. Requirements and Application Forms
  3. Fees

You will need all of the following:

  1. Completed application form DS-2029 (PDF – 353kb)
  2. The child’s foreign birth certificate.
  3. Proof of citizenship of the U.S. citizen parent(s). Your current passport is the preferred form of proof. Your U.S. birth certificate or naturalization certificate is also acceptable.
  4. Proof of the relationship between the U.S. citizen parent(s) and the child. Your child’s birth certificate with both parents’ names on it is the best form of proof.
  5. If you have prior marriages, we need to see proof of how those marriages ended, and proof of your current marriage.
  6. A statement from either U.S. citizen parent and evidence that they lived in the U.S. long enough to transmit citizenship to their child. The statement you give is called an Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support (PDF – 287kb).