Frequently Asked Questions – U.S. Citizen Services

Below is a non-exhaustive list of frequently asked questions regarding American citizen services.

For additional questions not found below, please email

We strongly recommend that U.S. citizens traveling to or residing in Mali enroll in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).

In addition, U.S. citizens are encouraged to register with the Embassy’s SMS Alert system. To do so, please email, with the following information:

  • Full name
  • Malian telephone number
  • Departure date

Please visit our Passport webpage for detailed instructions on how to apply for new adult and minor passports, as well as passport renewals.

The number of required documents varies depending on the type of passport application (i.e adult renewal, lost or stolen passports, minor passports).  You can find detailed instructions on required documents in our Passport Services page.

To apply for  Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA), applicants need to bring the following required documents:

  • Proof of U.S. citizenship prior to child’s birth
  • Notarized Form DS-2029 
  • Proof of at least five years of physical presence
  • Parents’ original marriage certificate – if applicable
  • Evidence of termination of all prior marriages of parents – if applicable
  • Proof of relationship to child
  • Child’s original birth certificate
  • Valid ID for both parents
  • CRBA Application fee
  • Photocopies of all civil documents

If you are applying for a passport at the same time, you must also bring the following required documents:

  • Form DS-11
  • One photo (5 cm x 5 cm)
  • Parents’ government issued identification (original and copy)
  • Passport application fee

For detailed information on how to fill the required forms and additional documents, please visit our CRBA page.

All non-emergency services require an appointment. All applicants must have the required documents and forms ready before making an appointment.  Failure to bring the required documents and forms may result in significant processing delays.

To make an appointment, please select the type of service you need:

For emergencies during normal consular hours, contact the Consular Section at (+223) 20 70 25 05. You are also welcome to come to the Embassy for emergency assistance.

For after-hours emergencies involving an American citizen in Mali, please contact the Embassy Duty Officer at (+223) 66 75 28 60 or the main Embassy phone at (+223) 20 70 23 00.

You can find information about voting at Federal Voting Assistance Program webpage at  and also at the Embassy’s voting page.

To file taxes overseas, you can refer to IRS Publication 54 and find U.S. Tax Information for Overseas Americans on the U.S. Embassy Bamako Taxes and Federal Benefits webpage.

No. U.S. driver licenses can only be renewed in the U.S. Please check your state requirements for renewing your license. Each state has different regulations on driver license renewals.

No. The Embassy does not have a school. The International School of Bamako (ISO) offers an English language educational program to children between the ages of 3 and 19 in pre-kindergarten through grade 12. However, the U.S. Embassy assumes no responsibility or liability for services provided by this institution.

The U.S. Embassy does not have a community organization. However, we post information about Town Hall Meetings and other Embassy Events on the U.S. Embassy Bamako website and send notifications to U.S. citizens who have enrolled in the Department of State’s Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP).