Applicants for a new U.S. passport can follow the steps below if their current passport:
- Is damaged;
- Was issued before age 16; or
- Was issued more than 15 years ago.
For this type of passport application, applicants are required to personally appear at the Embassy.
Complete Passport Application Form
- Print one-sided pages only** DO NOT SIGN.
- Social Security Number: If the applicant does not currently have an SSN then he/she should fill in the passport application SSN box # 5 with zeros. The applicant MUST also fill out and sign the SSN Declaration (PDF-80 kb) and submit it with the passport application. Absence of the form will result in a delay of passport adjudication.
**We require that all applications be completed online and printed from a laser printer. If you choose to submit a hand-written application or print the application on a non-laser printer, this could cause delays in processing your application.
Present Proof of U.S. Citizenship
Applicants may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following documents (original AND one photocopy):
- an original U.S. Birth Certificate, or
- a certified U.S. Birth Certificate, *or
- an original U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or
- an original U.S. Certification of Birth, or
- an original U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or
- an original U.S. Naturalization Certificate.
* Some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. You may order a birth certificate online here: National Center for Health Statistics.
Present Proof of Identity
The applicant may prove his/her identity by submitting one of the following primary identification documents (provide original AND one photocopy):
- an original valid passport of any country, or
- an original national identity card with photograph, or
- an original valid U.S. or State government ID card, or
- an original U.S. military ID card, or
- Any foreign passport that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in, or
- Name change documentation if you have changed your name since your proof of citizenship was issued. You will be required to provide name change documentation, i.e. your marriage certificate. If you have changed your name by means other than marriage, please contact our office for further information.
Provide One U.S. Passport Photo
Photos must be:
- 2 x 2 inches (5cm x5cm)
- In white background
- IMPORTANT NOTE: STARTING NOVEMBER 1, 2016, EYE GLASSES WILL NO LONGER BE ALLOWED IN PASSPORT PHOTOS.
- Do NOT staple or paperclip the photo to your application
Note: French photo booth photographs are NOT acceptable for U.S. passport issuance.
Method of Payment
Review the most current passport fees and payment methods. Payments are accepted at the Embassy in US Dollars or the equivalent in CFA.
Accepted methods of payments:
- Credit card – Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club