DS-11 Application Form for New U.S Passport

Applicants for a new U.S. passport can follow the steps below if their current passport:

  • Is damaged;
  • Was issued before age 16; or
  • Was issued more than 15 years ago.

For this type of passport application, applicants are required to personally appear at the Embassy. 

Complete Form DS-11. Be sure to answer all questions accurately as any mistakes may result in a delay.

Please refer to the side box on this page for guidance on how to print the completed form.  Adobe Acrobat is required. 

  • Print one-sided pages only. Make sure that the bar code is clearly shown on the top left hand corner of the form.
  • ** DO NOT SIGN. The DS-11 form must be signed in front of the Consular Officer.
  • Social Security Number: If the applicant does not currently have an SSN then he/she should fill in the passport application SSN box # 5 with zeros. Applicats with no SSN MUST also fill out and sign the SSN Declaration (PDF-80 kb) and submit it with the passport application. Absence of the form will result in a delay of passport adjudication.

We require that all applications be completed online and printed from a laser printer. 

Applicants may prove U.S. Citizenship with any one of the following documents (original AND one photocopy):

  • an original U.S. Birth Certificate, or
  • a certified U.S. Birth Certificate, *or
  • an original  U.S. Consular Report of Birth Abroad or
  • an original U.S. Certification of Birth, or
  • an original U.S. Certificate of Citizenship, or
  • an original U.S. Naturalization Certificate.

* Some short (abstract) versions of birth certificates may not be acceptable for passport purposes. You may order a birth certificate online here: National Center for Health Statistics.

The applicant may prove his/her identity by submitting one of the following primary identification documents (provide original AND one photocopy):

  • an original valid passport of any country, or
  • an original national identity card with photograph, or
  • an original valid U.S. or State government ID card, or
  • an original U.S. military ID card, or
  • Any foreign passport that you may currently hold, have held, or been included in, or
  • Name change documentation if you have changed your name since your proof of citizenship was issued. You will be required to provide name change documentation, i.e. your marriage certificate. If you have changed your name by means other than marriage, please contact our office for further information.

Photos must be:

  • 2 x 2 inches (5cm x5cm)
  • In white background
  • Do NOT staple or paperclip the photo to your application

Note: French photo booth photographs are NOT acceptable for U.S. passport issuance.

For more information regarding photos read the detailed photo requirements or visit the Department of State website page.

Fees must be paid at the U.S. Embassy.

Review the most current passport fees and payment methods. Payments are accepted in US Dollars or the equivalent in CFA. Fees are non-refundable.

Accepted methods of payments:

  • Cash
  • Credit card – Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, and Diners Club


You must have the following documents ready before making an appointment.  Failure to bring the required documents may result in significant processing delays.

  • Form DS-11. Filled electronically and NOT signed.
  • Proof of identity
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Passport photo
  • Photocopies of all civil documents
  • Correct fee amount

If you have all the documents listed above, please go ahead and schedule an online appointment.