Passport for Minors

Applicants for a minor U.S. passport must appear in person and provide the documents listed below.

The Consular Section offers non-emergency passport services by appointment only.  Please refer to the full checklist of required documents before sheduling your appointment. Processing time for non-emergency passports is approximately three-four weeks.

U.S. law places the burden of proof on the applicant to prove his or her entitlement to a U.S. passport. Applicants unable to provide sufficient evidence may not qualify for a U.S. passport.

For adult passport renewals and first-time adult passports please follow the instructions on the Application for a U.S. Passport page.

Please provide all the required documents  listed on the Application for a New U.S. Passport. The documents include:

  • Form DS-11
  • Proof of U.S. Citizenship – (original and one copy)
  • Proof of Identity – (original and one copy)
  • Passport Photo
  • Application Fee

Please bring the old minor passport to help establish the identity and citizenship of the child.

Parent(s)/Guardian(s) must submit evidence of their parental relationship to the minor applicant (original and one copy).  Examples of documents that may be used as evidence of parental relationship are:

  • U.S. birth certificate
  • Foreign birth certificate
  • Adoption decree


  • All foreign documents not written in English or French must be accompanied by a certified English translation.
  • Evidence of a legal name change must be submitted, if the name of a parent/guardian has changed since the original documents were issued (e.g. photocopy of a marriage certificate, etc.)

A consular officer may suggest you undergo DNA testing to establish a biological relationship before he or she can perform a consular service for you or your family members.

The parent(s)/guardian(s) must present one of the following primary photo identification documents (original and one copy):

  • Current, undamaged U.S. passport (if issued less than 15 years ago)
  • Naturalization Certificate
  • Valid Driver’s License
  • Current Government ID

Both parents/guardians must appear in person with the minor and provide consent, authorizing passport issuance to the minor.

If one parent/guardian is unable to appear in person, then the DS-11 application must be accompanied by the original signed, notarized Form DS-3053: Statement of Consent  from the non-applying parent/guardian.

  • Important Note: The notarized DS-3053 form must be less than 3 months old and notarized by certified a U.S. or European notary. New written consent from the non-applying parent must be obtained and submitted with any future passport application for the minor under age 16. 

If the minor only has one parent/guardian, evidence (original and one copy) of sole authority to apply for the minor must be submitted with the application in the form of a:

  • U.S. or foreign birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or adoption decree, listing only the applying parent
  • Court order granting sole legal custody to the applying parent (unless child’s travel is restricted by that order)
  • Court order specifically permitting applying parent’s travel with the child
  • Judicial declaration of incompetence of the non-applying parent
  • Death certificate of the non-applying parent


Please complete DS-5525 Form, only if you are the applying parent or guardian, and the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian, or sole custody cannot be obtained in a timely manner.

The statement must explain in detail the unavailability of the non-applying parent or guardian and describe recent efforts made to contact the non-applying parent or guardian.  You may also be required to provide evidence (e.g., custody order, incarceration order, restraining order) to document your claim of exigent or special circumstances.

Progression photos are only necessary when renewing a minor’s passport, or when applying for the first adult passport in order to confirm the minor’s identity.

If applicable, applicants need to provide progression photos that show the evolution of the child since the last passport.

The lack of progression photos can cause delays in the processing of the passport application. Some passport renewal applications may not be accepted without progression photos.

In order to confirm the minor’s identity, the consular officer is required to see the minor in person the day of the interview.


You must have the following documents ready before making an appointment.  Failure to bring the required documents may result in significant processing delays.

  • Form DS-11
  • Proof of U.S. citizenship
  • Proof of identity
  • Minor’s old passport
  • Evidence of parental relationship
  • Photo ID of parent/guardian
  • Parental consent
  • Statement of exigent/special family circumstances – if needed
  • Progression photos
  • Passport photo
  • Application Fee
  • Photocopies of all civil documents

If you have all the documents listed above, please go ahead and schedule an online appointment.