Lawful Permanent Residents (Green Card Holders)

Lost or Stolen Green Cards

If you are a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) traveling outside of the United States and your Green Card is Lost, Stolen, or Misplaced, you must make an appointment with the Consular Section to apply for a return travel document (a boarding foil). The application (USCIS Form I-131A) and instructions are available here. You must fill out the I-131Amake an online payment to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS), and then send an email to to make an interview appointment.

If you plan to file a Form I-131A to apply for an LPR boarding foil, please note that you must pay the filing fee online on the USCIS website before appearing in person at a consular section. Information on the new form and fee is located here. You must bring evidence of payment, in the form of a printed email receipt notice or confirmation page, when you appear in person to file Form I-131A. As with all immigration fees, USCIS does not issue refunds, regardless of the final decision.

You may find additional information on and instructions for Form I-131A here.

Determining Returning Resident Status

“As a Lawful Permanent Resident (LPR) who has remained outside the United States for more than one year, you may be eligible for returning resident status if you:

  • Departed the United States with the intention of returning to a relinquished residence;


  • Your stay abroad was for reasons beyond your control and for which you were not responsible.

This category of LPR should apply for an SB-1 visa. An alien seeking an SB-1 visa must complete Form DS-117, Application to Determine Returning Resident Status. The alien must also pay a fee associated with this visa category.

Please send an email to if you wish to make an appointment to determine your status as a returning resident.